Jan 29, 2017
I see thy tears
Jan 29, 2017
Some regrets that will die with us or go with us into eternity
I preached on this past Sunday evening, "Let Thy Fountain Be Blessed." This statement is made in Prov. 5:18 which states in full, "Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth." Hebrews 13:4 says, "Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled..." Honorable means valuable, costly, beloved and is also translated: Dear, Precious, etc. Back in Prov. 5:18, fountain means, a spring, a source, a satisfaction in time of thirst and is a figure of happiness. It is also a type of childbearing success. Prov. 18:22 states, "whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD." Prov. 19:14 states, "House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the LORD." Prov 31:10, "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price (value) is far above rubies." Eccl. 9:9 tells us to "Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity... for this is thy portion in this life." In regard to this subject, you should read Eph. 5:19-33 and 1 Peter 3:1-7. How can those of us who are married let our fountain be blessed? How can we keep the marriage strong and satisfying without stagnating? Let thy fountain be blessed:
- Be strong in your commitment. "Rejoice with the wife of thy youth." Read Mal. 2:11-15 and notice that God rebuked Judah and Israel for breaking their commitment to the "wife of thy youth." The Divorce word should not be used as a pry or threat. It weakens the commitment and threatens the vows which were made. It also destroys the sense of security for children.
- Be satisfied with your companion. Prov. 5:19 "be thou ravished always with her love." Ravished = as in intoxicated, to reel, to be enraptured. V20 says, "Why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman?" V3-14 gives warning about the "strange woman." Her "lips...drop as an honeycomb...her mouth is smoother than oil...her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell."
- Be sweet in your communication. Prov. 15:1, "A soft answer turneth away wrath." Notice the lips of the strange woman "drop as an honeycomb" and are "smoother than oil." Words have destroyed more homes than wickedness.
- Be slow in your confrontations. James 1:19 says, "...let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." See Prov. 14:29, 15:18 and 16:32.
- Be Spiritual in your concentration. Prov. 5:21, "For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and He pondereth all his goings." Center your marriage around the LORD JESUS CHRIST and His Word and YOUR FOUNTAIN WILL BE BLESSED!