Jan 29, 2017
I see thy tears
Jan 29, 2017
Some regrets that will die with us or go with us into eternity
The Bible has much to say about walking with God, of course directed at true believers. Here is a partial list of New Testament verses that use the word "walk" referring to the way a believer lives. The word means "to live, deport oneself, follow as a companion, range in a regular line, to march in (military rank, and to keep step." A partial list of verses to see are John 8:12; 11:9-10; 12:35; Acts 21:21; Rom. 4:13, 6:4, 8:1, 4, 13:13; 2Cor. 5:7, 6:16; Gal. 5:16, 25; Eph. 2:10, 4:1, 17, 5:2, 8, 15; Phil 3:16-18; Col. 1:10, 2:6, 4:5; 1Thess. 2:12, 4:1, 12; 2Thess. 3:11; 2Peter 2:10; 1John 1:6-7; 2John 6: 3John 4; Jude 18 and Rev. 3:4, 21:24.
Why would God put so much emphasis on the "walk" of a believer? It is a choice! God does not push and He does not pull. He leads us as a shepherd. According to John 10:4, "He goeth before them, and the sheep follow him." Gal. 5:16, 25 states, "This I say then, walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."
There are many long term results of walking with God in obedience which I would like to share.
- Walking with God will keep us from drifting. Remember the meaning of walk is "keep step, keep rank, follow as a companion," and when we do that we will not drift.
- Walking with God will keep us from danger. See Prov. 4:14-15, Ps. 24:2, "He leadeth me beside the still waters."
- Walking with God will keep us from darkness (deception). John 12:35; 1Pet 2:9 and 1John 2:11.
- Walking with God will keep us from distraction. 1 John 2:15-17.
- Walking with God will keep us from distress. Spiritual confusion is distressing to a true believer and it only happens when we are not walking with God. See Prov. 3:5-6 and Prov. 11:5-6.
- Walking with God will keep us from disgrace. We should live every day as though it could be the day Christ returns. 1 John 2:28 states, "And now, little children, abide in Him; that, when He shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before Him at His coming."
Are you walking daily by the Savior's side? If so, you will not drift, fall into danger, walk in disgrace, be distracted, or Spiritually distressed, and you will not be disgraced at the end of your Christian journey.