(Condensed from message preached Sunday, July 11, 2004)
America is sinking into the pit of destruction and sadly, the more we learn, the less we know. 2 Tim. 3:7 tells us that in the last days people will be "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." A gallup poll of December compared with June indicates a very dramatic and downward drift in America. 1Tim. 4:1-2 tells us of "seducing spirits" and "doctrines of devils." Compare this with 2 Peter 2:1-22 and see how the last days are described. Jesus said many times in the New Testament, "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." It is obvious that the Lord meant that it is possible to hear with the physical ear and not hear with the understanding. There are some things the lost cannot hear, or know with a heart of understanding.
- They cannot know the Saints. 1 John 3:1; 1 Peter 4:3-4. Do not expect your lost loved ones or friends to understand you. It is impossible until they are born again.
- They cannot know the Saviour. 1 John 2:3-5. There is a difference between knowing about Jesus and knowing Jesus. Just because a person uses the name Jesus does not mean that he or she knows Him as Saviour. John 8:12-59.
- They cannot know the Spirit. John 14:17; 1 Cor. 2:14; 1 John 3:24 & 4:13.
- They cannot know the Satisfaction of God's saving grace and the forgiveness of sins. They do not have the Spiritual concept of being righteous before God through the Shed Blood of Jesus Christ. Eph 1:17-19 & Eph. 3:16-19.
- They cannot know the Sanctuary of God's presence.
Ps. 20:1-2 & 1 Th. 4:5.
It is impossible to have this knowledge apart from being regenerated, THEREFORE, there are some things that they can know and should know:
They can know that they are sinners.
- They can know that sin separates us from God.
- They can know that the Saviour died for everyone.
- They can know He will save whosoever will come to Him in faith.
- They can know that the only way to see heaven or loved ones who have gone on is to be Born Again.
Please read 1 John 4:1-6, but notice v. 6 in particular: "We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."