There are duties placed on man that are not pleasant, yet they are necessary. Capital punishment is one such duty.
Ecclesiastes 8:11 states: "Because sentence against as evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men are fully set in them to do evil." In other words, when judicial authorities fail to execute speedy judgment upon violators, they encourage others to commit the same crime without fear!
- God said in Genesis 9:6 (before the law!) "Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."
- God himself had just demonstrated the death penalty in Genesis 6:7 "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth..."
- Man was created in God’s image, God breathed into his nostrils the Breath of Life, and man became a living soul. That is not said of the animals. To commit murder is to assault that image of God!
- Genesis 4:10 God said to Cain: "What hast thou done? The voice of thy brother’s blood crieth unto me from the ground."
- 5. Romans 13:1-4 should be read, but especially verses 3-4 "For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:" Verse 4 says, "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid, for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." Twice here the rulers, bearer of the sword, the revenger is called, "Minister of God". It simply means, governmental authorities have the responsibility and right from God to execute judgment, including the Death penalty!